This recipe creates a healthy meal full of different bean full of protein, fibre and iron. Jazz it up by adding more fresh vegetables such as spinach, sweetcorn, courgettes and mushrooms.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1/2 tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small tin of butter beans, drained
- 1 small tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1 large tin of baked beans
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion, celery, carrot, pepper and garlic until soft.
- Add the kidney beans, butter beans, chickpeas, baked beans (in their sauce) and chilli powder to the mixture. You may need to add a little water to stop the mixture sticking. Bring to the boil and simmer over a low heat for about 15 minutes.
Serve with rice, tortillas, wedges or baked potatoes.
Use any type of beans or tin of mixed beans, add a tin of tomatoes to make it go further. A good pinch of paprika will give the dish a lovely smokey taste.