This delicious soup has just the right amount of spice. You can make it more filling by adding other ingredients such as potatoes or sweet potatoes. Adding left over vegetables is a good way to add flavour and avoid food waste.
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated (coursely)
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 40g split red lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 568ml (1 pint) of low salt vegetable stock
- black pepper
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and celery and fry until soft.
- Add the carrot, lentils, cumin and coriander and stir. Then add the vegetable stock and some black pepper.
- Partly cover and bring to the boil, then simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes until the carrots and lentils are soft. At this point you could blend to make a smoother soup.
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy.